If you think that a facial is only beneficial to those suffering from acne, think again.
Celebrities such as Amanda Seyfried and Kim Kardashian are constantly in the spotlight and must look their best at all times. Lucky for us we don’t have Paparazzi following us 24/7 but let’s be honest, we still want to look and feel our best. The list of celebrities that love facials is as endless as the list of benefits.
Where can we sign up for the glow factor?
It’s a visible fact that regular facials help us achieve a healthy, radiant appearance and complexion. It’s a relaxing and rejuvenating mini vacation and escape from our stressful daily life which improves our overall skin health.
Before you google the latest trends, it’s important to know that everyone is different. What works for one person may not work for another which is why a facial is specifically tailored to a person’s skin type and needs Our skin changes over the years and with age, this leads to a number of ever-changing skin concerns. Think of it as nature’s way to keep us on our toes.
Unfortunately, our mirrors might not be revealing the entire truth. Thankfully, sun damage, premature ageing, dead skin cells and clogged pores will become visible under a UV light device which will allow your therapist to look deeper into the skin. This is a necessary step to find the optimal skin care routine and treatment plan to further address skin concerns including acne.
- Purifying first cleanse – the facial begins with the initial cleanse to remove make-up, pollutants, excess sebum and harmful bacteria and to condition and activate your skin.
- Double cleanse – the intense second cleanse includes a gentle facial massage to remove impurities and to re-hydrate the skin. Massaging the skin in a circular motion will help increase blood flow, detoxify your skin and increase cell renewal. The oxygen flow from the vapour offers antiseptic properties during the double cleanse and helps to soften the skin while opening and unclogging pores.
- Exfoliation – this is a gentle yet thorough exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and unclog pores. Exfoliation ensures that the skin can fully absorb the skin care products that follow. Dead skin cells will sabotage even the highest quality products. For extra intense exfoliation, you may wish to add a microdermabrasion treatment to your facial.
Find out more about microdermabrasion here
- Mask – A concentrated super-charge addressing your particular skin concern. Refreshing, hydrating, tightening, pore refining, the anti-ageing-the list goes on. The benefits of a mask treatment are endless and will give your skin an even and clear complexion. A mask is left on for a recommended amount of time (usually 10-15minutes) while your therapist gently massages your neck, shoulders and temples.
- Serum – Your therapist will lock in the nourishing benefits by applying a serum suited to your skin type. Active ingredients of your potent, long-lasting serum can be absorbed into the deeper layers of your skin and directly address specific skin care concerns. It is advisable to continue using a serum at home. Use it after your double cleanse or after your exfoliation, just before applying your moisturizer.
- Moisturizer – Once your skin has fully absorbed the serum, your therapist will apply a nourishing moisturizer best suited for your skin to your face, neck and décolletage.
- Eye gel or cream – will help decongest and depuff your eye area. This delicate area deserves special attention as the first signs of ageing, dehydration and sleep deprivation will first become visible around the thin-skinned eye area.
Find out why an Eye gel or cream is essential…(link to eye gel blog)
- Sunscreen – a vital protection not only during the summer months. Our skin needs extra protection from the harmful, ageing effects of harsh UV lights making this the final step of your facial.
Don’t forget to book in for a return visit to re-assess your skin and to tweak your skincare routine. It may require a few trials to find out what works best for your skin. Remember, hormonal changes and different weather seasons can affect your skin and may require a different approach including a more or less rich product. Allow for your skin to adjust to the new routine as there will be an adaptation phase which could take a couple of weeks. Work with your therapist to achieve the radiant, rejuvenated and glowing skin you deserve.
Facial Fast Facts:
- Deeply cleanses and activates your skin
- Removes dead skin cells
- Maintains vital pH-levels
- Maintains skin’s moisture barrier
- Clarifies and hydrates the skin
- Stimulates collagen production
- Unclogs and refines pores
- Helps prevent acne
Book in for your facial with your trusted beauty salon and ask for a professional skin analysis.