So your little girl has decided to get her ears pierced.
She has been badgering you for months.
So where do you go now?
As a parent, it is natural to feel apprehensive about how to approach this process.
Of course, for some parents there are memories of their friends in high school ‘doing it themselves’ with a needle sterilised under a flame. Thankfully, there are now reputable establishments which you can attend to ensure your children’s ears are pierced under the most hygienic of circumstances.
It’s worth the time to ensure that the piercing salon you visit has been assessed by the local authority. Local councils normally send environmental health officers to ensure the ear piercing environment meets the appropriate standards, including adherence to age guidelines.
It’s also a good idea to choose a salon that includes ear piercing as part of their core offering. You can research this easily just by asking a few questions:
- Do they offer double operators?
- How many people have they pierced?
- What strategies do they have specifically for children?
- How do the earrings come packaged (they should be pre-sterilised)?
- Any other tips or advice related specifically to children’s ear piercing (bringing your child to get pierced first thing in the morning after something to eat is a good tip, for example).
Once you are satisfied that the above questions have been answered, the next hurdle is of course piercing consent laws. In Australia, these differ slightly from state to state. However, if you are a parent please ensure that you:
- Make an appointment with the salon.
- Ask the salon what you need to bring along – including identification for yourself as you are representing your child.
- Always ask any questions you may have.
Once you have made your choice and made your appointment, it is important to focus your child on what the piercing will look like and not the process. If your child asks “Will it hurt?” you could answer by saying “It is like getting flicked with a hairbrush”.
Once it’s all over (which is no time at all) please be sure to adhere to the homecare instructions that you will be given. Homecare instructions can also be accessed on the company’s website.
If you have any more questions, get in touch with the children’s piercing experts at your local Essential Beauty.