You’ve had your body piercing and you’re ready to celebrate! But in order to fully enjoy your body piercing, it’s essential to have good aftercare practices to minimise incidences of infection, scarring and other complications.
After a piercing is done, there may be some bleeding, localised swelling, pain and tenderness, or bruising around the piercing area. When your piercing is healing, it could secrete a whitish-yellow fluid which contains blood plasma, lymph and dead cells. This is normal. The tissue around the jewellery may also be tight. When your piercing is healed, it could secrete sebum from time to time, a semi-solid white substance from the oil glands. This is not pus.
It is essential to clean the area well at this time to promote complete healing. The tissue heals from the outside in.
Do not use harsh cleaning solutions such as alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or harsh soaps as it could damage tissues. Instead, use fragrance-free liquid soap with anti-microbial or germicidal properties. One could also use packaged sterile saline solution with no additives or a non-iodised sea salt mixture. There are also specific solutions to cleanse and promote healing, that you can use like the Sterilear Ear and Body Piercing Spray – available from your Local Essential Beauty Salon.
How to clean your piercing
- It is important to wash your hands before cleaning or touching the piercing. Remember if your piercing is new, you can only touch / rotate it in the shower!
- Irrigate the area with your solution / saline for three to five minutes, twice a day.
- Be sure to rinse the jewellery thoroughly.
- Mop up any excess with preferably gauze or a tissue.
- Avoid cloth towels as they may harbour germs and snag on jewellery, thus causing further injury.
- Again: Remember to only rotate your piercing in the shower!
Precautions to take
- Always wash your hands before touching the pierced area. Do not disturb the jewellery or touch the area unnecessarily.
- Keep hair away from the pierced area as hair harbours germs aplenty.
- Have a holistic and healthy lifestyle. Nourish your body and give it adequate rest. The healthier your body, the swifter your healing.
- Wear clothes that are clean. Bedding should be washed and changed regularly so that it is clean and free of contaminants.
Things to avoid
- Clothing that may snag on your jewellery or cause friction to the wound.
- Over-cleaning the piercing area as that may irritate the wound.
- Avoid swimming in rivers, lakes or getting into hot tubs for at least a month as they can be hot beds for germs.
- Getting bodily fluids near or on the piercing.
- Using harsh chemicals to clean your piercing.
- Burdening your jewellery with chains, charms or any other piece of jewellery that could pull on the still-healing area.
Of course if you have any concerns please consult with your Local Salon ASAP!